Looking for a colorful sand kit? NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC Play Sand Combo Pack is our pick as the best colored sand kit—we love the generous amount of sand in three colors, plus included toys. Here’s an overview:
What We Liked
• Lots of fun: six molds, six pounds of sand. You get two pounds of each color (natural, purple, blue). Our testers loved the colors!
• Cute molds and structures like pyramids.
• Non-toxic and hypoallergenic.
What Needs Work
• Colored sand can stain hands, especially if your hands are sweaty or wet. We noticed that this is more of a problem in humid environments (outside in Houston, Texas, for example). As a precaution, we’d suggest testing play with this sand to see if the color transfers to hands, tables or floors before you try it inside your house. And make sure your child’s hands are completely dry before playing.
• Sand is on the dry side and powdery compared to other kits we tested. You may have to add water if sand is too dry to stick together. Storing sand in zip lock bags may keep it from getting too dry to stick.
• Once you mix colors, you can’t easily separate them. This may seem obvious, but just a heads up!
• No storage container. If you have a plastic tub with lid, that might be a good solution.