Let’s talk propane deep fryers!
Great for tailgating or as a side hustle at fairs or festivals, propane deep fryers can also be used to deep fry a turkey. In this article, we’ll look at which fryers might be best for different uses.
When it comes to fried chicken or fish, you want a fryer that is designed with a v-shaped bottom. Why?
Debris from the batter will drop to the bottom of the v-shaped fryer, enabling it to be drained and removed. That’s important because if the fryer basket doesn’t have that v-shape, the debris will float to the top of the oil and burn. That requires you to skim the oil frequently, which is quite the hassle.
For the best fryer for fried chicken or fish, we think Bayou Classic 700-704 fryer is the best bet for folks who want to use it as a side hustle. It is excellent for church fish fryers, as it is easy to use and set up. Plus it holds the oil at a constant temperature, unlike others we tried.
What We Liked
• V-shaped design keeps stray flour or batter at the bottom.
• Oil drains from valve at the base.
• Sets up in about 15 minutes.
• Keeps oil at constant temperature.
• Covers for fryer basket.
What Needs Work
• Temperature gauge can fog up.
• Baskets are on the small side.
• Oil isn’t separated. This is true for most of fryers we researched for this article, however. Since the oil isn’t separated, if you are frying fish on one side and french fries on the other, the fish taste will migrant to the other basket.