We’ve researched (and tasted) candy from Japan and Korea, so we thought it would be great to add Mexico to our international candy passort.
Mexican candy is certainly popular, whether used as party favors or to fill a pinata. Whether you miss a favorite flavor from your childhood or just want to try something different, Mexican candy assortments hit the spot.
As always, a few words of caution before you order any of these assortments:
- Mexican candy flavors are often spicy and bold, versus sweet and sugary. Some folks are surprised at the number of candies with chile powder and other spicy ingredients. You have been warned: some of these candies pack a punch!
- Most candy assortments feature small-size candies—ranging from bite-size packages to tiny packs of gum. So when you see a 32 piece assortment, that doesn’t mean 32 giant candy bars.
- Allergy alert: none of the candies we sampled had any allergen information and some contained nuts, dairy and other known allergens. If you have food allergies, it might be best to steer clear. Using these candies to fill pinatas is popular, but be aware of allergy issues.
Most of the Mexican candy we tried came in assortment packs—30, 60 or 90 pieces of candy, with a variety of textures and types. Lollipops seemed to be a big thing, as are flavors like tamarind, which somehow manages to be both sour and sweet at the same time.
For the best overall candy assortment, we thought Ole Rico’s Mexican Candy Mix was the best bet. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• Many popular brands from Mexico like Pulparindo. We liked the bold taste of Pulparindo, but this tamarind-flavored candy has a very spicy finish! (And that was the regular version, not the extra picante). This pack has 4 flavors of Pulparindo.
• Wide variety.
• Sweet, sour and spicy.
What Needs Work
• Many very small pieces. We understand that candy assortments often have bite-size pieces, but it would be nice if a few full-size choices were also included.
• Lots of chili pepper-flavored candy. We didn’t mind this, but we know some folks thought it was overdone.
• Some candies can melt in the hot sun. Consider that if you are ordering this in the heat of summer.