What’s the best hot glue gun for your next craft project?
The answer: it depends. What exactly are you glueing? That’s important because some hot glue guns are dual temperature (hot and not as hot). Others have just one temperature.
Hot glue is used for projects that involve glass, metal, plastic or wood.
Lower temperature glue is used in crafts like jewelry making, as well as fabric, foam or floral arrangements. Basically, more delicate items.
FYI: Typically, each temperature requires special glue sticks—you can’t use low temp glue in a hot melt glue gun, for example. So if you get a dual temperature glue gun and plan to use it for low temp projects, be sure to get glue sticks that are either low temp or dual temp. (Yes, there are three types of glue sticks: high temp, low temp and dual temp sticks that work at either temperature! Confusing, we know).
Glue guns come in three varieties: mini, full-size and cordless.
After surveying our parent readers to find their favorites, we tried out several top brands.
For the best mini hot glue gun, we recommend Gorilla Dual Temp Mini Hot Glue Gun—it hits all the bases (easy to use, fast to heat up, etc.) at a price that is also easy on the wallet.
What We Liked
• Fast to heat up!
• Easy to use.
• Dual temperature = more flexibility with craft projects.
• Long trigger = easier to grip.
• Safety fuse.
• Includes 30 4″ mini glue sticks.
• Built-in stand.
What Needs Work
• Adult supervision required. That’s because this gun on high temp can get too hot for kids to handle, in our opinion. Care is required to avoid burns!
• Cord could be longer.
• Two hands needed. That’s because you have to feed in glue stick manually. Other glue guns have a trigger that enables automatic feeding—this model doesn’t have that.
• Cooled glue in the feeder can cause a back up.