Best Splurge-Worthy Bouncer: 4moms mamaRoo
If you are hoping for a gift in this category, we’d recommend the 4Moms’ mamaRoo. Fans love the five unique motions (including car ride, ocean wave, etc.) as well as the built-in nature sounds and the relatively compact footprint. The most recent Mamaroo is Bluetooth-enabled so you control it with a smartphone app. In our testing, it worked well at soothing babies—with some caveats. Here is an overview:
What We Liked
• Combines soother, bouncer and rocker. This clever product is a mashup of several baby gear items. And fans love the ability to soothe a baby.
• Two price points. The Mamaroo is sold in two flavors—Classic (solid grey or black) and Plush (colored and textured patterns). The Classic is a basic, canvas-like fabric, while the Plush has a softer, more velvet-like cover. We’ve evaluated the feel of both versions and think the Classic is fine. If you decide you’d like the more plush fabric later, you can buy an extra pad.
• Doesn’t take up too much room. Regular baby bouncer/swings can have huge footprints, 30″ or more; the mamaRoo is 20″ wide.
• App enabled. You can remotely change the settings and play music via an app. Fans love this hands free option.
What’s Needs Work
• Pricey. With a 25 lb. weight limit, this is an expensive piece of gear for short term use.
• Durability. Critics say the mamaRoo breaks too easily . . . and we’d agree that is disappointing at this price point.
• Not every baby loves it. That isn’t a big deal when you are talking an affordable bouncer or swing—but at this price point, if your baby doesn’t cotton to it, you can imagine the heartburn.