Nutritional yeast comes in two basic varieties: powder or flakes. We tried out several popular brands of nutritional yeast, sprinkling them on popcorn and mixing it into risotto as a substitute for parmesan cheese.
One big difference we noticed among brands: the amount of salt. Since nutritional yeast is basically used as a substitute for cheese, how salty it tastes can vary widely from brand to brand.
Since we know some folks prefer a less salty taste, we looked for brands that had the best flavor with the least sodium. In the end, we thought Bragg’s Premium Nutritional Yeast Seasoning tasted the best.
What We Liked
• Very tasty!
• Nice cheesy flavor profile.
• Sugar free.
• Gluten free.
• Shake top bottle is convenient.
• No eggs, milk, starch or soy.
• No artificial colors or preservatives.
• Two basic ingredients: yeast and B-vitamins.
What Needs Work
• Flakes too big? Some folks prefer smaller flakes of other brands. We weren’t bothered by this and thought they were the right size for most dishes.