If you need a heavier-duty pencil sharpener (that is, more than occasional use at home), we’d recommend X-ACTO’s School Pro Classroom sharpener. When we talked to teachers, this is the model that came up time and time again as the go-to sharpener.
Also helpful: this electric sharpener fits various size pencils, including the larger size ones used in preschool or kindergarten. Here’s more:
What We Liked
• Great if you need to sharpen specialized pencils (artwork, drafting, etc).
• Heavy duty design = more pencils can be quickly sharpened.
• Automatically stops when pencil is sharp.
• 6 different pencil sizes.
• Quieter than the Bostitch model recommended earlier.
• Stays in place thanks to suction cup under the unit.
What Needs Work
• Uneven sharpening. Sometimes the cutter gets misaligned, causing uneven sharpening.
• Can get jammed. The maker has troubleshooting tips on how to deal with this, fortunately.