Do you need to move a dehumidifier from the living room to the basement? Which model is robust enough to deal with a damp or musty basement or rec room?
After speaking with HVAC contractors and doing 17 hours of research into different models, we think hOmeLabs 4500 square foot dehumidifier is best.
Good news: this large-capacity dehumidifier combines both performance and value. It removes up to 50 pints of water from the air per day, lowering the humidity to comfortable levels in a short period of time.
Here’s more on why we recommend this model:
What We Liked
• Easy to set up.
• Drain hose hook up for a 5/8″ garden hose (hose not included).
• Quiet. The soft volume level of this dehumidifier is excellent.
• Visible water tank level indicator at front of unit.
• Turbo mode worked fast, but was definitely louder.
• Continuous mode, timer and fan speed control. Continuous mode may be needed for several days if you are dehumidifying a space for the first time in a season.
• Remembers settings after a power failure.
What Needs Work
• If you aren’t using the pump with a drain hose, you may have to empty it more than once day, especially if the humidity is high.
• Filter must be cleaned once a month. But this is the case with other portable units we tested.
• Hose draining hit or miss. We didn’t have a problem with this, but we see reports indicating some units still drained into the tank even with a drain hose hook-up.