Let’s talk chocolate gift boxes!
When it comes to chocolate, we consider ourselves enthusiasts—we’ve tasted everything from those bargain basement grocery-store chocolates to fancy chocolates with French names.
So when we decided to find the best chocolate gift boxes, we focused on two key factors: first, the chocolate had to taste good. Second, the chocolate gift box had to look like, well, a nice gift.
In other words, presentation counts!
To help you find the best bets, this article has pictures of what the boxed chocolates look like in the real world. You’re welcome!
Another key feature: value. We looked for chocolate gift boxes that gave the best bang for the buck . . . after all, “Bargains” is in our name.
So after trying eight chocolate gift boxes for this article (not to mention dozens of other boxed chocolates over the years), we give the crown for the best chocolate gift box overall to Ferrero Rocher. Yes, these are “fine hazelnut milk chocolates” that live up to their rather impressive brand reputation.
Here’s what the box looks like in real life, with an Oreo cookie in the picture for a size reference:
This box has three different flavors. We cut into two flavors (the dark chocolate and the coconut truffle)—here’s what they look like up close:
What We Liked
• 24 assorted chocolate and coconut candies = great bang for the buck. Unlike other chocolate gift boxes with six or 12 pieces, this one goes the extra mile.
• Good variety: there are three flavors—dark chocolate (with dark chocolate pearl at center), milk chocolate with a hazelnut center and a white chocolate (dusted with coconut and almonds).
• Box looks like cut crystal and gold foil. Overall, very nice presentation.
• Different textures. In our taste tests, we liked the crispy shells and creamy centers. A favorite was the hazelnut at the center of the dark chocolate truffle. While we aren’t the biggest coconut fans, the white truffle with coconut was a winner as well. While it is the messiest of all the three flavors, we liked it nonetheless.
What Needs Work
• Hazelnut flavor somewhat overpowered by the chocolate. The Ferrero Rocher gold-wrapped truffles were very chocolate . . .the chocolate filling and outer shell somewhat overshadow the pearl in the middle.
• Coconut truffle is quite messy. You can see that in the picture earlier, as we cut into the coconut truffle, it sort of crumbled.
• Box can be fragile.