If you need a box fan to fit in a narrow space like a window sill, the best bet is a compact model. After considering a handful of alternatives, we thought the Hurricane model HGC736501 is probably the best bet. Why? It is only 3.5″ deep—that compares to other fans we tested that were twice as deep. Since most window sills are rather narrow, we think this fan would work best—with one caveat (see below).
What We Liked
• Lightweight at 7 lbs.
• Removable, adjustable feet.
• Area for cord storage.
• 3 speed.
• Narrow depth 3.5″ = fits nicely in most windows.
• Speed dial on front of fan—that’s most helpful when using it in a window! (Other fans have controls on the top, which is less convenient.)
What Needs Work
• No handle so it is less ideal as a portable fan.
• Short cord (5′). The Air King recommended in this earlier has a cord 8 feet in length.
• Can’t use this fan in a window if it is raining outside. That’s because the housing doesn’t shield the motor from rain. If you need a fan that can be left in a window when raining, consider the next recommendation.