Yes, bento boxes are great for kid’s lunches—they keep foods in separate compartments and (thanks to their limited size) help in portion control. But which are best? To find out, we gathered a panel of kids to test out several popular bento boxes.
Which were easiest to use? Surprisingly, even bento boxes that are designed for kids sometimes can be difficult for them to open. We also found some boxes are designed to seal compartments, keeping food separate, while others didn’t have that feature.
One caveat to all the bento boxes recommended in this article (except the Ozazuco pick at the end): they are NOT insulated. They will not keep food cold—so most parents also buy an insulated lunch box to put the boxes in. (The Ozazuco bento box for kids comes with a separate insulated carry bag).
Finally, when it comes to bento boxes, let’s be honest—how cute a bento box looks is a factor! So we looked for bento boxes that were both functional, well-designed and . . . super cute. For the cutest bento box, we thought Bentgo Kids Prints fit the bill best. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• 5 compartments, with seals to keep foods separate.
• Kids loved the design best! Unicorns + Bento Box = home run!
• BPA and PVC free.
• Rubber coated edges = keep it from breaking when dropped.
• For kids aged 3-7.
• Lightweight at 1.45 lbs.
• Easy to clean—dishwasher safe.
• Microwave safe.
• If you don’t like unicorns, there are 10 other patterns (sharks, rockets, etc).
• Latches are easy to open.
What Needs Work
• A bit pricey.
• Mold can grow in the seals if you aren’t super careful with cleaning.
• Have to take the box apart to clean it.
• Too small portions for larger kids? Yes, the boxes in this bento box are quite small—some folks think too small! We see that point, but still would recommend it for most kiddos.
• Too heavy for smallest kids? While this bento box weighs 1.45 lbs., that is empty—add food and it does get heavier . . . perhaps a bit much for three or four year olds to carry. If you want a lighter weight box, we’ll have a pick for that below.