We tried out nearly all the popular baby gates on the market today, checking for ease of installation and use. After testing with parents in various places in a house (stairs, doorways and more), we pick Regalo’s Easy Step baby gate as the best of the bunch. Here’s why:
What We Liked
• Expandable! We like the fact this gate can expand to fit openings between 29 and 36.5″ wide. That’s important because doorway widths vary widely from house to house.
• Included extension kit can add another 4″.
• Can hard mount or pressure mount. If you can, hard mount the gate at the top and bottom of stairs.
• Steel looks nicer than plastic.
• Door can swing open either way.
What Needs Work
• Have to hit a switch on the bottom of the gate to have the gate swing open both ways. The switch has a bit of a learning curve, as some of our testers said they had problems getting it to work at first.
• No self-close.
• Doesn’t self-lock.